Good morning friends 🙂
It’s the 1st of June already and May has slipped quietly by. After 2 weeks of glorious weather we seem to be back to grey skies just in time for half term 😦 Ahh well, we have the Jubilee to celebrate this weekend and plans for days out together that don’t depend on the weather so I am looking forward to spending the week with my beautiful boys.
Now that Benny’s blanket is complete I have made a start on one for Jack. Once again I am using a ball of hand-spun, hand-dyed wool my lovely Mum brought back from Scotland and Jack has chosen blues, purples and a green yarn to go with it.
Originally I planned to knit Jack’s blanket, making lots of squares using different stitches and then sewing them together. But when I started to knit the first square in a plain stocking stitch the idea of knitted strips surrounded by crochet seemed just right so that is the plan now. The first strip is finished and I think I will need about 10 of these before I start edging them with crochet. I’m thinking then I will join them together and work round the whole piece in crochet until we feel its big enough 🙂
Here is the first strip completed. I was trying to block it out here. Not something I’m used to doing but I thought I would try it. The idea is the pin the piece out and spray it with water until it’s damp. Then you dab off any droplets and leave it to dry. It worked OK but I don’t think I got the edges damp enough as they still curled in. Still, I have a few more strips to perfect this technique and I’m hoping someone with more experience at this will give me some tips. One thing I have learnt is not to do the blocking on an ironing board as it ruins the cover! Oops.
Jack is very excited. I so love making things for my boys 🙂
I mentioned before that I was starting to make a picture tutorial for a coin purse craft kit I have in stock. Here are the first few photos. I am sewing it by hand although it could be sewn by machine. Here is the kit I am using and the contents, everything I need to make one purse except a needle and thread.
Here are the fabrics. I decided to use the first one as the outside and the yellow one for the lining.
First I ironed both pieces of fabric then ironed the interfacing onto the fabric I chose for the outside of the purse.
Next I cut the paper pattern out and used a pencil fabric marker to mark out the shape onto the fabric.
I marked the position of the two tabs onto the fabric with the pattern in place, then removed the pattern and marked the tabs onto the inside of the pattern pieces before cutting them out. This is really inportant as it marks the positions where you sew from and to.
So now I’m ready to start sewing. I haven’t done much sewing in recent years but I am really enjoying it and have some plans for patchwork cushions and may even combine fabric and crochet as I have found some lovely tutorials on how to do this 🙂
Finally, I thought I would share the link the one of my Pinterest boards. This one is for ‘Things I want to make’. I am always thinking one or two projects ahead but I am struggling at the moment as there are so very many things I want to try. It would be lovely to know what you think I should add to my list.
For now I hope all my British friends have a wonderful Jubilee and for everyone else I hope you have a lovely weekend with people you love doing the thngs that make you happy 🙂
Until next time with love